- My ex got a raise at work. How can I get more child support?
- I've been to court. When is my divorce considered final?
- I heard that California is a 'no fault' state. What does that mean?
- I want more time with my son. Can I change the original child custody order?
- I want to get a restraining order. Is there a form for that?
Court findings show that as many as 70 percent of family law litigants in California are unrepresented. Library staff often get questions about common legal problems, like divorce, child custody, support and domestic violence.
This webinar will help librarians and library staff to understand the California family law process, learn some key terms and explore reliable referral sources that will be helpful for customers. Attendees will also learn about online resources that can be used as a starting point for responding to family law-related questions.
At the end of this one-hour webinar, participants will:
- Receive a general overview of family law matters including: divorce, custody and visitation, child support, spousal support, paternity and domestic violence
- Be familiar with key terminology in family law matters
- Gain an overview of the phases of the divorce process
- Be introduced to the "Families & Children" and "Divorce or Separation" sections of Courts.ca.gov, the California Courts website
- Have a basic understanding of the family law forms that the California Courts website has, and what it doesn't have
- Learn about online resources that can be used as a starting point
- Get tips on print resources and library databases that can be helpful for locating family law information and forms
This webinar will be of interest to library staff on the front lines of connecting people with information in public libraries, as well as law librarians from all disciplines who have seen a need for training public librarians in providing access to legal information and services to customers with legal questions
|Webinar 1: Legal Research Resources: Great Legal Reference and Referral in the Public Library - Oct 4, 2012.
|Webinar 2: Family Law Basics for Public Libraries - Jan 10, 2013.
|Webinar 3: Finding Legal Forms: Getting Started in Public Libraries -Feb 7, 2013
Webinar 4: Landlord/Tenant Legal Resources: a Guide for Public Libraries - Mar 21, 2013
Webinar 5: Small Claims Court Legal Resources: a Guide for Public Libraries - Apr 18, 2013
- Speaker's slides
- pptx [4.9mb]
- pdf (Full slide) [895kb]
- pdf (3 slides per page) [474kb]
- Resources: doc [255kb] - pdf [560kb]