Amazon Kindle Handout
The Kindle is a reading device. You purchase books, magazines or blogs via an Amazon account at the Kindle store. You connect to the store via wireless (Whispernet). A USB charger is required to charge the unit. It’s available starting at $139.
- To turn ON or OFF, slide switch to on back of device.
- To navigate:
- Use the 5-way controller located to the right of the keyboard.
- Push center button on the controller to select things.
- The Menu button accesses the Kindle Store as well as actions such as turning the wireless on/off or adding a highlight within a book.
- The Home button shows content stored on your Kindle as well as content archived at Amazon
- The Next Page button turns the page in your reading material
- The Previous Page Goes back one page in your reading material
- The Back button (at the bottom of the 5-way controller) retraces your steps on your Kindle
- The Text Key (to the right of the space bar) changes the font size within your reading material
- While reading a book or magazine:
- To find a definition of a word in the text, highlight the line of text with your word in it, click the scroll wheel and choose Lookup
- To search for a word in the text, press the Search button.
- To bookmark a page in the book, click Menu, then Bookmark.
- To add a note:
- Move your cursor to the line where you’d like to add your note.
- Press the Menu button, choose Add note and type away using the keyboard on the bottom.
- When finished, select done and click the scroll wheel.