CLA 2010: Toshiba NB-305 Handout
The Toshiba NB-305 PC is a member of the ultra-light (under 3 lbs) low-cost (under $400) computers. The Toshiba runs the Windows 7 Starter Edition operating system (a stripped down version of Windows 7 for netbooks). It has a 160GB hard drive, three USB ports, Wi-Fi, Ethernet, a VGA port for connecting to a projector or monitor and a secure digital (SD) card slot for additional storage.
- To turn ON or OFF hold down the Power button above the keyboard directly below the screen.
- To navigate, use the touchpad. You can use the silver buttons below the touchpad to click/double-click OR you can tap directly on the touchpad.
- This is a Windows machine – so everything you know about Windows applies!
- Installed applications are located as shortcuts on the Taskbar.
- The Toshiba has a Hard Drive Impact Sensor―a complex system of hardware and software designed to detect sudden movements (as when your laptop starts to fall off the table) and "park" the heads of your hard drive before damage occurs. It works faster than you can blink to help protect your laptop and all-important data. Shake the laptop to see what happens!
Netbook Tip: Because netbooks have much slower processors and less memory than bigger, faster laptops, don’t expect then to be great gaming machines. The less “bloatware” ( software that has lots of features and requires considerable disk space and RAM ) you load on the machines the better!