- Do you have an idea for a new project or service for your library?
- Do you see a need that your library can't fill under current budget constraints?
- Do you know you want to go after a grant, but don't know where to start?
- Do you want to find out about grant sources for libraries beyond LSTA?
- Have you ever said, "If only we could..."?
If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, then you can expand your funding options and get started in library grant writing by taking this highly practical introductory workshop.
Workshop Description: This all-day interactive workshop will employ class discussion, individual and group exercises, and presentation to teach you what you need to know and give you the confidence to begin writing grant proposals for library projects. The instructor will provide samples of successful grant proposals, checklists, resource lists, a copy of "Program Planning and Proposal Writing" from the Grantsmanship Center, and lots of practical tips that you can apply immediately. During the day, you will practice working on various sections of a grant proposal using real library scenarios, and will start developing an Action Plan for your own grant project. The workshop will cover various types of funding sources appropriate for libraries.
Pre-workshop assignment: Please come to the workshop with an idea for a project that you think would be appropriate for grant funding.
Preliminary Course Outline:
- Getting Started in Grant Writing
- Types of grants
- Grant seeking vs. fundraising
- Basic grant vocabulary
- What makes a successful/good proposal?
- Getting ready to work on a proposal
- Anatomy of a Grant Proposal
- Preliminary information
- Assessing and documenting need
- Writing clear objectives
- Describing your plan of action
- Determining success
- Budgeting realistically
- Planning for the future
- Finding a Funder
- Resources - print, online, human
- Library-specific grants
- Library-friendly funders
- Developing your grant-seeking strategy
- Putting it all together: submission and post-submission
Workshop Instructor: Holly Hinman