With this announcement for the free workshop on "Exploring Library Leadership," Infopeople is pleased to mark the beginning of another round of the Eureka! Leadership Program. Briefly, the Program consists of four phases, i.e.:
Phase 1 - a one-day workshop, "Exploring Library Leadership," offered in August and September 2008
Phase 2 - a series of nine day-long skills building workshops, offered over nine months from November 2008 through July 2009
Phase 3 - a six-day intensive leadership Institute, scheduled for October 2009
Phase 4 - individual project work by those who attend the Institute, with a concluding project showcase event planned for October 2010
Details about the program will be posted on the Infopeople website in August, and a brochure will be mailed to all California libraries at that time. Please note:
- "Exploring Library Leadership" is open registration and is free.
- The Phase 2 workshops are also open registration and can be taken either separately or as a series. Each workshop is $75; if you register for the entire series there is a discount - nine workshop for the price of eight, or $600 for the series.
- Neither Phase 1 or 2 is a prerequisite for application to the Institute.
- The Institute can accommodate 32 people, who will be selected by a competitive application process.
If libraries of all types are to have a strong and exciting future, it's up to us. Library leaders will come from within our ranks—whether we are ready or not! Opportunities to lead abound, both within libraries and in the communities we serve. And the leadership role is not limited to managers or supervisors—there is a need for leaders at all levels in a library organization.
- Have you ever wondered what it takes to be a leader?
- Do you believe leaders are born, or that leadership skills can be taught?
- Would you like to learn how to make the most of your own leadership qualities?
If you want to help transform libraries to meet the challenges of the future, maybe it's time for you to discover the leader within!
Workshop Description: This all-day workshop will have you engaged in individual and group activities to help you experience and identify your leadership qualities. You will get a brief overview of leadership theories and identify the most important qualities leaders possess. We'll spend time discussing the differences between leaders and managers. You will leave with a 10-minute-a-day plan for personal development, so that you can put what you learn to use right away.
Pre-workshop assignment: Prior to the workshop, participants will be expected to read "Thoughts of California Library Leaders," an eight-page long PDF document that will be emailed to you two weeks before your workshop session.
Preliminary Course Outline
- What Is Leadership?
- Leadership styles
- Leadership versus management
- Effective Leadership Practices in a Chaotic World
- Articulating your vision
- Assessing your leadership strengths
- Leadership and Emotional Intelligence
- Risk-taking and trust
- Developing Your Leadership Potential
- How to make the most of developmental assignments
- Personal development plan