Affordable Care Act Resources for California Public Library Staff
Why California public library staff need this information
California library staff should be ready to assist their communities in locating and accessing the Health Insurance Marketplace, mandated by the Affordable Care Act, and should be ready to respond to other questions of fact related to changes in coverage and care mandated by the Act for all.
- NEW: ACA Bookmark PDF Now Available PDF
Where to start
- Key Features of the Affordable Care Act - Provides a graphic overview of the essential elements of changes the Act makes in healthcare insurance coverage requirements, from the US Department of Health and Human Services.
- Affordable Care Act - As enacted 23 March 2010, this is the full text of the "Compilation of Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act [As Amended Through May 1, 2010]."
Resources for library staff
Resources for consumers
- Covered California - This is the marketplace site for health insurance in California. Consumers can find plan information, FAQ's and applications here.
- Multi-lingual fact sheets (PDF)
- Cuidado de Salud - Covered California website in Spanish.
- Healthcare.gov - This is the federal government’s central health insurance marketplace website. Applications and health insurance options can be found here. This is the starting point for consumers from any state.
- Help Center - healthcare.gov's 24/7 helpline available at 1-800-318-2596
Resources for employers
- Businesses - From the healthcare.gov site, links to various circumstances of employers, including the self-employed and those who have more than 50 employees, provide specific ramifications of health insurance obligations under the Affordable Care Act.
- Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP) - Employee health insurance requirements of the Affordable Care Act are explained, with links to more resources, for small business employers.
Resources for Medicaid, Medicare and Medi-Cal clients
- Affordable Care Act Eligibility - This page on the federal Medicaid site discusses the provisions of the Affordable Care Act that relate to public assistance clients. There are changes to Medi-Cal (California’s Medicaid program) that affect who can be covered, how application for assistance is undertaken and health coverage under the new law.
- Expanding Horizons: Key Facts about the Medi-Cal Program as California Implements Healthcare Reform - The California Budget Reform project created this useful set of slides to explain what Medi-Cal is, whom it serves, and how changes will roll out starting with October 2013’s enrollment process.
- The New Health Law: Medi-Cal Expansion – From the Health Consumer Alliance, this brief provides a quick overview of how the Affordable Care Act’s provisions impact groups of Californians who are, and may become, eligible for healthcare coverage assistance.
How to learn more
Both the California government and the federal government are providing useful webinars on a frequent basis. Infopeople is also preparing webinars on the subject. In addition, Infopeople is developing an independent online learning series that will provide you with resources and best practices. All of these resources are free. Be sure to follow the agencies of your choice on social media (Facebook, Twitter, RSS feed) and/or subscribe to their training email lists.