Service to Homeschooling Families
Fee: $75 for those in the California library community.
According to the National Center for Education Statistics, there were well over one million children being homeschooled in the United States in 2003, a number that has continued to rise. Studies show that a majority of homeschoolers use libraries as their primary source of learning materials, and homeschoolers are among libraries' heaviest borrowers. Still, few libraries offer specialized services to this high-need population; many libraries don't know where to start. This workshop will introduce participants to:
- The world of homeschooling,
- Tools libraries need to make connections,
- Services that will benefit homeschoolers, the library, and the community as a whole.
Workshop Description: This all-day workshop will introduce participants to the world of homeschooling and what it means to be a homeschooler in California. Students will explore how they can eliminate barriers that prevent homeschoolers from using the library effectively, how they can develop low-cost/high-impact programming for homeschoolers, and how to create a homeschooling collection that will be used by homeschoolers and non-homeschoolers alike.
Pre-workshop assignment: We will be setting up a blog two weeks before the workshop to begin to introduce participants to the different segments and philosophies active in the homeschooling community and to begin exploring questions and issues.
Preliminary Course Outline
- Who Are Homeschoolers?
- Homeschooling statistics
- Homeschoolers philosophies/trends
- Homeschooling laws/organizations in California
- Creating Programs for Homeschoolers
- Removing barriers to homeschoolers using the library
- Developing basic, low-cost programs that have maximum impact
- Welcoming homeschoolers into non-homeschooling programs
- Creating a Homeschooling Collection
- Identifying items that will have the widest use
- Evaluating resources
- Locating reviews
- Balancing the collection
- Housing the collection
Who Should Attend: This workshop is for public service staff and administrators who deal with homeschoolers on a daily basis, purchase materials, plan programs, and set library policies and procedures.
Check-in: 8:30 to 9:00 AM Instruction: 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM
If you would like to subscribe via RSS and be notified whenever new Infopeople training events are available, you can use these links:
**For new on-ground or online workshops: infopeople.org/workshop/rss
**For new podcasts: feeds.feedburner.com/InfopeoplePodcasts