You are here

It's called ObjectGraph Dictionary, and works a lot like Google Suggest. As you type in a word, suggestions will appear in the box below where you are typing. What's neat is that you get not only the words, but their definitions. Two dictionaries are used: a regular dictionary and FOLDOC (Free On-Line Dictionary of Computing). You have to switch between the two: I was in the regular dictionary and tried typing internet which yielded no results (not a big surprise after I read their How Does it Work? page, as the regular dictionary being used is based on the public domain portion of "The Project Gutenberg Etext of Webster's Unabridged Dictionary" which is in turn based on the 1913 US Webster's Unabridged Dictionary). Switching to FOLDOC gave me a huge entry. At any rate, an interesting and potentially useful tool.
And while we're on the topic of words: the Oxford English Dictionary (faithful friend of many a librarian) has just added a bunch of new words to its already copious collection. The list is here and includes such gems as "benji" and "supersize." The bad news: the list only gives you the words; you'll have to look up the definitions yourselves.
A tip o' the virtual hat to ResearchBuzz for the leads.

Blog Categories: