You are here
What’s New in Children’s Literature: 2013 Update
An Infopeople Webinar
Presenter: Penny Peck
- Frustrated that you cannot think of a recommendation when a child asks for a “good book to read?”
- Tired of recommending the same books because you can’t think of anything new to recommend to a child visiting the library?
Discover the new books that you can recommend to children who use your library! Hear about books published in Fall 2012, and upcoming Spring 2013 titles, that will be popular with children ages 0-12. These include picture books, easy readers, transitional fiction, genre fiction for middle grades, graphic novels, poetry, nonfiction, and more!
Hear about books that will appeal to the “reluctant reader,” boys who may have drifted away from reading, and books that will have popularity with a wide audience of children.
At the end of this one-hour webinar, participants will:
- Be able to identify “read-alikes” – other books you can recommend to children after you find out their favorite book
- Discover books that will grab the attention of reluctant readers, including the newest graphic novels for kids, nonfiction, and popular culture titles
- Be able to name some new books relating to the Common Core
- Hear a recap of the recent ALA awards (such as Newbery, Caldecott, etc.) and other recent children’s book awards, to make sure you have these available to recommend
- Take away a list of helpful websites to use when doing readers’ advisory, and sites that will help you keep up-to-date on the latest children’s books
This webinar will be of interest to: any library staff or volunteer who serves children ages 0-12, in either public or school libraries.
Webinars are free of charge, you can pre-register by clicking on the Join Webinar button now or go directly to the webinar by clicking on Join Webinar within 30 of the start of the event. If you pre-registered you will receive an email with login link and a reminder email the day before the event. If you did not preregister and you can register in the 30 minutes prior to the event and directly enter.
- Book List: doc [51kb] - pdf [135kb]
- Read-alikes: doc [39kb] - pdf [107kb]
- Websites: doc [46kb] - pdf [68kb]
- Library Program Ideas - Zombies for Halloween: Link
- Chat, Q&A, Closed Captioning
- Chat: pdf [XXkb]