You are here
Open Source ILS Add-Ons
An Infopeople Webinar
Presenter: Lori Ayre
The first two webinars in this series presented an introduction to and overview of Open Source Library Systems (OSLS) and how to get involved with one of the two leading OSLS projects Koha and Evergreen.
This third webinar is about the Open Source software that is available to supplement your library system, regardless of whether you are using an Open Source Library System like Koha or Evergreen or a proprietary system like Millennium, CARL, or Horizon.
Software that dramatically extends and expands the capabilities of your library system software fall into two main categories: discovery interface and metasearch. While other products (e.g. content management systems) may integrate with your ILS to some degree, we will focus our attention on discovery and metasearch tools, how they work and who is using them.
During this presentation, participants will:
- Understand the importance of providing users a unified discovery interface for all library resources
- Understand the difference between the new Digital Library Federation's ILS Discovery API and other methods of accessing library system data such as Z39.50, SIP and ILS-specific, proprietary APIs
- Learn about four viable Open Source discovery interface products that are in use at libraries today (SOPAC2, Blacklight, Scriblio, VuFind)
- Understand what OAI, Web Services and SOA mean and what they have to do with metasearch
- Learn about three viable Open Source metasearch tools that are in use at libraries today (LibraryFind, Paspar2, dbWiz)
- Understand how an open library system provides access to library-owned data and provides much more flexibility for you library than a closed, proprietary system
Webinars are free of charge and registration is only done on the day of the event on the WebEx server. No passwords are required.