You are here
Open Source: "Free" is Just the Tip of the Iceberg
An Infopeople Webinar
Presenter: Lori Ayre
- Is your library trying to reduce costs, streamline procedures, and be responsive to increased/new customer expectations—all at the same time?
- Is it time to begin planning to replace your current integrated library system (ILS)?
- Is your current ILS vendor less than responsive to your requests?
- Do you have a "legacy" ILS that is no longer supported with upgrades?
If you answered "yes" to any of the questions above, then Open Source is something you should know about, and you should put this webinar on your calendar now!
Libraries now have the opportunity to move away from the proprietary integrated library system (ILS) model where the library contracts with a single vendor for the license, migration assistance, and support. The alternative is to move to an Open Source Library System (OSLS), which eliminates the costs associated with the licenses and maintenance contracts entirely. Sounds great, but what does that mean for the library that still needs migration assistance, ongoing support, and maybe even hosting from a "vendor"?
Fear not! There are many ways to get help evaluating the options, planning the migration, converting the library to the new OSLS and getting the support you need from service providers.
This webinar will help clarify the differences between the proprietary ILS model and the new OSLS model, including what it means for the library staff and budget.
During this presentation, participants will:
- Receive an introduction to the basic concepts of OSLS and learn how it differs from the single vendor model.
- Explore the costs and benefits of moving to an OSLS.
- Examine alternatives to the RFP process when considering a move away from your current ILS.
- Identify and learn about the major OSLS currently available – Koha and Evergreen.
- Analyze what the Open Source license used by Koha and Evergreen (GPL license) means and how the Open Source licensing and development system works.
- Learn what kinds of service providers exist for libraries moving to an OSLS and how to get help evaluating your options, migrating and supporting your new system, as well as hosting and development options.
- Hear about specific libraries that have made the move to an OSLS, how they did it, and how they are doing on their new OSLS.
This free webinar is the first in an Open Source Series sponsored by Infopeople, Califa, and the Open Source Library Consortium. The first two webinars will be presented by Lori Bowen Ayre and will focus on Open Source Library Systems (OSLS). Subsequent webinars will be delivered by other instructors and will cover Open Source applications including Drupal, Flickr, and Open Office.
Webinars are free of charge and registration is only done on the day of the event on the WebEx server. No passwords are required.