You are here
Free Online English as a Second Language Courses
An Infopeople Hosted Webinar
Start Time: Pacific - 12 Noon, Mountain - 1 PM, Central - 2 PM, Eastern - 3 PM
Presenter: Andrea Willis, Sacramento County Office of Education and Katy Azevedo, Butte County Library
Is your library looking for ways to help people learn beginning and intermediate English as a second language (ESL)? Do you need free, high-quality, and easy-to-use educational resources? USA Learns (usalearns.org) has three ESL courses that incorporate video lessons and thousands of learning activities to teach English in an effective and interactive way. Since the site launched, it has been accessed by nearly 11 million people from every country in the world.
Join presenters Andrea Willis and Katy Azevedo as they give a tour of the USA Learns English as a Second Language course, while you learn about ways that your organization can utilize the website to help immigrants improve basic language skills. Talk to Katy about her experience using USA Learns directly with migrant farm workers in Northern California as they improve and practice spoken and written English.
During this one-hour webinar, attendees will:
- Get an overview of the 1st English Course (beginning ESL), 2nd English Course (intermediate ESL), and Practice English and Reading course (intermediate ESL).
- Check out online lessons that include English speaking, listening, vocabulary, comprehension, pronunciation, reading, writing and grammar activities.
- Hear what our adult learners say about USA Learns. (They love it!)
- Learn about the free USA Learns English Apps, which provide vocabulary practice to support the 1st English Course.
- Get a peek at USA Learns’ teacher side (usalearns.org/teacher), where you can easily create a course based on our content and monitor your learners’ progress through the materials.
- Hear from Butte County Library regarding ways USA Learns is being used and start thinking about how to roll it out in your organization.
This webinar will be of interest to: Anyone who wants to help immigrants learn English, especially library staff and volunteers.
Libraries Helping Immigrants - Series Infomation
|Webinar 1: Thu, Nov 1, 2018 presented by Andrea Willis and Katy Azevedo|
|Webinar 2: Wed, Nov 14, 2018 presented by Andrea Willis and Katy Azevedo|
|Webinar 3: Tue, Dec 11, 2018 presented by Domminick McParland (USCIS) and Shawn Chakrabarti (USCIS)|
|Webinar 4: Wed, Jan 16, 2019 presented by Erin Quinn (ILRC) and Melissa Rodgers (ILRC)|
|Webinar 5: Tue, Mar 12, 2019 presented by Vilaysay “Sai” Chang (USCIS)|
|Webinar 6: Wed, May 15, 2019 presented by Erin Quinn, Senior Staff Attorney, ILRC|
Libraries Helping Immigrants, Services for Immigrants: A Project to Train Library Staff to Utilize ESL and Immigration Resources is supported in whole or in part by the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act, administered in California by the State Librarian.
Webinars are free of charge, you can pre-register by clicking on the Register Now button on this page. If you pre-registered you will receive an email with login link and a reminder email the day before the event.
To check your system's compatibility with GoTo Webinar and/or download software for your computer/tablet/smartphone, see this page.
Keywords: immigration, citizenship