A brief listing of sites to help you learn: HyperText Markup Language (HTML), how to design web pages, how to work with graphics, where to get HTML editors and how to validate your HTML pages.
- Introduction to HTML: A Web Tutorial - developed by Infopeople.
General Reference and Basic HTML Code Sites
- Barebones Guide to HTML - Listing of all of the HTML tags, with links to other questions.
- HTML Help by the Web Design Group (WDG) - Great all-around information to help you design a website. Includes a Reference section on HTML, a glossary, advice on design elements such as graphics and colors, and links to tutorials, style guides, and validators. "The Web Design Group was founded to promote the creation of non-browser specific, non-resolution specific, creative and informative sites that are accessible to all users worldwide."
- HTML/XML Quick References - This page from About.com links you to several good HTML/XML help/tutorial sites.
- Make an HTML Document - Go through this brief tutorial for some added reinforcement in the basics of HTML.
Design and Style of HTML Pages
- Common Fonts - Lists the core font faces and font families usable in web pages.
- Composing Good HTML - Guide to writing HTML that will display well on any type of browser. Discusses common errors and good practices.
- Website Accessibility Guidelines - From Usability.gov, this page offers links to best rpactices on all elements of the website design process.
- Writing for the Web: a Primer for Librarians - "This paper discusses basic concepts and terminology which are associated with writing documents for the web. It is not an in-depth HTML guide, but a general introduction on how web documents are created."
Add Graphic Elements to your Document
- Clip Art of Everything - A huge collection of web clip art from About.com, indexed alphabetically in broad topics.
- HTML Color Codes - This page provides samples of all the various hex code colors, along with the hex codes.
- Images from Infopeople's Introduction to HTML Workshop - Small gallery of images that you can use in your web pages.
- Library Media and PR Toolbox - Excellent collection of free, original library graphics as well as links to other sources.
HTML Editors, Code and Link Checkers
- List of HTML Editors - Fairly comprehensive list of text, WYSIWYG, shareware and commercial HTML editors.
- W3C HTML Validator - From W3C, the organization responsible for HTML. Excellent.
- WDG HTML Validator - Another good validator. Also allows you to check your files still on your computer.
- Web Accessibility Evaluation Tool - WAVE is a free web accessibility evaluation tool. It allows you to plug in URLs, paste in text, or upload files for checking. You can also download a Firefox toolbar.