Digital Preservation: Audio and Video Formats
Tuesday, March 20, 2012
Start Time: Pacific - 12 PM, Mountain - 1 PM, Central - 2 PM, Eastern - 3 PM
Presenter: : Jacob Nadal
- Jacob Nadal's Website
Chat, Q&A, Closed Captioning
This presentation is the forth in a series of four webinars on digital preservation. The other presentations can found at:
Webinar 1: Fundamentals Dec 8, 2011
Webinar 2: Text and Image Formats Jan 10, 2012
Webinar 3: Storing and Managing Digital Collections Feb 7, 2012
Webinar 4: Audio and Video Formats Mar 20, 2012
In the last of our four-part series on Digital Preservation, this webinar present and explain:
- basic formats and standards used in digital audio and video collections for libraries, archives, and museums
- the development of audio and video formats and introduce participants to the significant technical features that pertain to digital libraries.
- Audio formats and encodings introduced include Pulse-Code Modulation (PCM), WAV and BWAV, and the issues related to compression for online delivery.
- Video topics include formats and standards, particularly the role of compression and data storage.
- the meaning of “HD” and options for video transfer and capture, as well as format and encodings for uncompressed video and the Motion JPEG standards.
Participants in this webinar will be able to make informed decisions about digital audio and video projects and revisit their planned or existing projects with an eye to making sure they will be useful sustainable into the future.
This webinar will be of interest to: Librarians archivists who are involved in developing digital projects, no special technical background required.
Webinars are free of charge and registration is only done on the day of the event on the WebEx server. No passwords are required.
This webinar will be presented with Closed Captioning. On the day of the webinar you can see the closed captioning in the WebEx media viewer or you can open a separate window using the following link: http://www.captionedtext.com/client/event.aspx?CustomerID=1140&EventID=1905490