An In-depth Look at MedlinePlus
Tuesday, March 4, 2008
Session #3 of the Health e-Shows Series
Please be aware there is about a 1 minute of silence after the introduction before the presenter begins.
Library users routinely ask tough health questions at the reference desk, and often the first place that librarians start is MedlinePlus. Nearly all library staff members are familiar with this important health information resource, but there is much more to MedlinePlus.gov than meets the eye. Please join us as we explore the nooks and crannies of the site and share tips for tweaking your search to pull out the nuggets of information for your library users!
This webinar is geared to library reference staff, but will also be useful to anyone who wants to use MedlinePlus to its full potential. The webinar will begin with a top-level view of MedlinePlus and how it differs from popular search engines and commercial health websites. What follows is an in-depth breakdown of the site, including some great ready-reference resources and other useful features. Participants will see search techniques that unlock the power of MedlinePlus, and will learn about new content areas that will provide answers to those difficult health reference questions. There is sure to be something new and useful for everyone!
Webinars are free of charge and registration is only done on the day of the event on the WebEx server. No passwords are required.
Speaker: Kelli Ham
- Speaker's slides
- Speaker's handouts
The Health e-Shows Series - Information
Infopeople is offering eight webcasts as part of a new consumer health series: Health e-Shows. The sessions will be presented by Kelli Ham, Consumer Health Coordinator, NN/LM Pacific Southwest Region, UCLA Louise M. Darling Biomedical Library.
- Session #1 - A Younger Generation of Older Adults: Health Information for Boomers (Archived October 22, 2007)
- Session #2 - Communicating about Health: Empowering Patrons to Communicate with Their Health Care Providers (December 3, 2007)
- Session #3 - An In-depth Look at MedlinePlus (March 4, 2008)
- Session #4 - Beyond MedlinePlus: Resources That Answer Those Other Tough Health Reference Questions (May 14, 2008)
- Session #5 - I Don't Give Medical Advice; I Dispense Quality Health Information (June 19 2008)
- Session #6 - Understanding Health Literacy: Why It Is So Important and What Librarians Can Do to Help (August 14, 2008)
- Session #7 - Health Information for Kids and Teens and Seniors, Oh My! (October 28, 2008)
- Session #8 - Finding Easy-to-Read and Multilingual Health Information for Your Patrons (December 1, 2008)