George and Joan on Revitalizing the Library Experience
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
Information has become an off-shored commodity. Google handles more questions in a second than a reference librarian will answer in a career. Social gatherings have moved to online networks. Why come to a library? For the experience! If your members still experience your library the way they did in the 1990s (1950s?), perhaps it's time to rethink and revitalize.
In this webinar, library consultants Joan Frye Williams and George Needham will reprise their popular presentation from this year's ASCLA President's Program. They'll describe new ways to present your services to the world. By the end of this webinar, you will:
- Understand the difference between passive and active library experiences, and how to make each work in your favor
- Know what makes an environment inspiring to independent learners
- Learn several ways to "layer" library services for increased impact
- See how you can plan library services around life's predictable passages
As always, George and Joan will challenge you to rethink how you do business, turning some old stereotypes on their ears while refreshing our notions as well as our services. The tips and techniques covered here won't necessarily cost more money, but they will help make your work more valuable and more fun.
Webinars are free of charge and registration is only done on the day of the event on the WebEx server. No passwords are required.
Speakers: George Needham and Joan Frye Williams
- Speaker's slides
- Chat and Q&A from webinar