ALA's Library Support Staff Certification (LSSC) program is a national certification program that allows library support staff to demonstrate their competencies and be certified by the American Library Association. LSSC is supported by the American Library Association and the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
The following Infopeople courses are all LSSC-approved and are offered at least once a year. As noted below, some competency sets require taking two courses in order to complete the competency. For the most current registration information subscribe to the Infopeople Training list or check the Infopeople website for all upcoming training.
Children's Services Fundamentals (Online)
- Competency: This course, in combination with Infopeople's Teen Services Fundamentals course, is approved as covering the Youth Services competencies for the LSSC program. Both courses must be taken to meet the competency set.
- Description: Do you want to be more comfortable and confident in providing library services to children and their families? In this course, expert children’s librarian and author Penny Peck helps you gain the skills to conduct an effective reference interview with children, determine children’s reading interests and find books to meet those interests, plan entertaining programs to attract families to your library and promote books and reading to children of all ages.
- Scheduled: September 24, 2019
Communication is More Than Words (Online)
- Competency: This course, in combination with Infopeople's All Work is Team Work course, is approved as covering the Communication and Teamwork competencies for the LSSC program. Both courses must be taken to meet the competency set.
- Description: Mastering the art of communication involves choosing words, understanding preferences, and learning to interpret body language, tone and gesture as well as listening without bias or judgment. Fortunately these are all skills that can be learned. As a result of this course you will have a new understanding of how we communicate in every situation, an awareness of the challenges involved in communicating effectively as well as the tools to improve conversations with customers and co-workers.
- Scheduled: August 27, 2019
All Work is Team Work (Online)
- Competency: This course, in combination with Infopeople's Communication is More Than Words course, is approved as covering the Communication and Teamwork competencies for the LSSC program. Both courses must be taken to meet the competency set.
- Description: Whether working with customers on a public desk, participating in a short term project to improve workflow or meeting weekly with your team to alter services to accommodate shrinking budgets, work involves interactions with groups of people to get things done. This course teaches you how to become an effective team player by understanding the basic principles of team formation, group dynamics and how to make decisions while having all members of the team feel heard.
- Scheduled: May 5, 2020
Basic Cataloging and Classification (Online)
- Competency: This course is approved as covering the Cataloging and Classification competency set for the LSSC program.
- Description: Through practical information and hands-on exercises, you will gain an understanding of cataloging practices, rules, and tools, as well as the nuts and bolts of copy cataloging. The course will cover both AACR2r (the current cataloging rule) and Resource Description and Access (RDA), the successor of AACR2r. The Library of Congress genre/form headings project, and Book Industry Standards and Communications (BISAC) subject headings will be discussed, as well. Tips on copy cataloging of newly emerging formats, such as e-books, graphic novels, and downloadable media will be offered. At the end of four weeks you will feel comfortable with the basics of cataloging, classification, and MARC records and be ready to begin copy cataloging items in a variety of formats.
- Scheduled: January 28, 2020
CORE Reference Fundamentals (Online)
- Competency: This course is approved as covering the Reference and Information Services competencies for the LSSC program.
- Description: Are you stepping into the role of providing reference assistance for the first time in your library career? Is it time to brush up on your basic skills because you are returning to work in a capacity that includes reference work with library users? In this 6-week course instructor Francisca Goldsmith helps you learn and practice an effective reference interview, explore a wide variety of print and web-based tools, discover ways to assist diverse groups of users, and learn to think like an indexer and apply that perspective to your information hunting in response to reference questions.
- Scheduled: January 14, 2020
Reader's Advisory: Books and Beyond
- Competency: This course is approved as covering the Adult Reader's Advisory competencies for the LSSC program.
- Description: In this course you will have the opportunity to learn and practice the interviewing, evaluation, and communication skills needed to provide your local community with access to satisfying leisure reading, listening, and viewing.
- Scheduled: August 27, 2019
Teen Services Fundamentals (online)
- Competency: This course, in combination with Infopeople's Children’s Services Fundamentals course (offered annually), is approved as covering the Youth Services competencies for the LSSC program.
- Description: Libraries can be a tremendous resource for teens, helping them to learn about themselves and the world they live in. Do you want to increase your confidence and competence in providing fundamental teen services? In this course you will learn about resources, experiences, and ideas for working with this energetic and enthusiastic age group. As a result, you’ll be able to create a welcoming environment for teens in your library, find out what teens read, listen to, and watch, help teens meet their homework or other information needs and navigate issues connected with privacy, challenges to materials, and Internet use.
- Scheduled: February 11, 2020