You are here
Library Foundations: How to Start One for Your Library
An Infopeople Webinar
- Thinking of starting a library foundation?
- Know the different foundation models and the one best for your community?
- Understand the legal liability of board members and how to protect them?
- Wondering about the legal limits of their lobbying and advocacy efforts?
This one-hour webinar will review different structures you may choose from, all eligible for tax-exempt status. Already have a foundation organized as a 501(c)(3)? Learn about operating requirements, limiting legal liability for board members, and the surprising amount of latitude the foundation has in lobbying and advocacy efforts.
After the webinar, attendees will understand:
- which model of foundation works best for your community
- how to get tax-exempt status
- a Foundations’ legal relationship to allied organizations and groups, such as Friends, Libraries, Cities and Counties
- the legal limits on lobbying and advocacy (lighter than you might think!)
- the legal liability of board members and how to protect them
This webinar will be of interest to library managers and library support group members interested in establishing a foundation, and also to libraries that currently have foundations and would like to learn more about their legal rights and responsibilities. Webinars are free of charge and registration is only done on the day of the event on the WebEx server. No passwords are required.