You are here
Facilitating Civic Engagement with Pop-Up Programming
An Infopeople Webinar
Start Time: Pacific - 12 Noon, Mountain - 1 PM, Central - 2 PM, Eastern - 3 PM
Presenters: Christine Goertz and Amy Holcomb
In late summer of 2016, Skokie (IL) Public Library created a Civic Lab--a mobile, pop-up initiative to increase public discussion and civic literacy among library patrons of all ages. In this webinar Christine Goertz and Amy Holcomb, two members of the Civic Lab team, will discuss the background of the Civic Lab, strategies in developing civic literacy opportunities across multiple departments, and the four types of pop-up events that make up the majority of Civic Lab appearances. Additionally, they will cover why civic engagement is inherent in library services as well as the lessons learned from three years of civic literacy programming.
At the end of this one-hour webinar, participants will:
- Be able to articulate and advocate for the role of the public library as a convener of civic engagement opportunities in the community
- Be able to identify strategies and topics for engaging patrons in thought-provoking ideas and dialogue beyond traditional programming
- Be able to identify and engage library staff at all levels in civic engagement initiatives across the library
This webinar will be of interest to: librarians, programming staff, information specialists, directors and assistant directors in public libraries
Webinars are free of charge, you can pre-register by clicking on the Register Now button on this page. If you pre-registered you will receive an email with login link and a reminder email the day before the event.
To check your system's compatibility with GoTo Webinar and/or download software for your computer/tablet/smartphone, see this page.
- Speakers' slides
- Civic Lab Program Examples
- Civic Lab Resources
- Archived recording transcript (text file)