You are here
Creating Fantastic Library Displays
An Infopeople Short Format Course
|Course fee||$ 150.00|
Course Instructor: Valerie Colston
Have you recently been tasked with creating library displays, but you don’t know where to begin? Or maybe you have been creating displays for years yet feel a bit bored with your display designs and in need of some fresh inspiration? Would you like to start the new year by planning a year of creative displays? Have you been creating displays during the pandemic... and if so, how are they different?
This course will provide you with tips, techniques, and inspiration that will help you to create library displays that delight.
In this class you will:
- Learn the language of designers
- Explore examples of fantastic library displays
- Realize how to achieve the “wow!” factor with library displays
- Plan a library display, from idea to implementation
- Evaluate library displays
Join artist and course instructor Valerie Colston (who has taught display techniques to librarians through her “Graphic Design for Librarians” courses and “Creating Displays for Librarians” workshops) and get ready to learn to create fabulous displays!
Course Description: This two-week course will provide readings, resources, examples, and an online meeting. You will plan a display and if possible, actually create the display, too. Learners will share their display ideas, examples, questions and challenges with one another and the instructor will provide design advice and suggestions for improvement.
February 3, 2020/11 AM Pacific Time/12 PM Mountain Time/1 PM Central Time/2 PM Eastern Time
Note: Please make every effort to ensure that you are able to attend this meeting before enrolling in the course. If this is not possible, archived recordings will be made available.
Course Outline: When you log in to the Infopeople online learning site, you will see weekly modules with these topics:
- Week 1: Display Inspiration
- Applying the elements of composition and principles of design to library displays
- Explore LOTS of examples of library displays
- The calendar as display inspiration
- Planning a library display, from idea to implementation
- Week 2: Planning, Evaluating, and Preserving Library Displays
- Additional information and ideas regarding planning library displays
- How-to constructively critique and evaluate library displays
- Create a design portfolio to retain library display ideas and examples
Time Required: To complete this course, you can expect to spend 2 1/2 hours per week, for a total of five course hours. Although you can work on the course at your own pace, at any hour of the day or night, it is recommended that you complete each week's work within that week to stay in sync with other learners.
Who Should Take This Course: Library staff who create, or would like to create, library displays.
Are you a member of ARSL? If so, you may be able to sign up for a free seat in this course. Limit is four free seats per course. Make your request here and if a free seat is available you will be notified.
Online Learning Details and System Requirements may be found at: infopeople.org/training/online_learning_details.