You are here
Rekindling from Burnout: Lessons and Strategies for Public Library Workers
An Infopeople Webinar
Start Time: Pacific - 12 PM, Mountain - 1:00 PM, Central - 2:00 PM, Eastern - 3:00 PM
Library workers provide support for patrons in distress on a regular basis. A hard and busy day might leave us depleted. Though we feel the effects of secondary trauma, we may not have the tools to describe and process the experience, leading to our own emotional distress. Without a practice of self-care and a network of support and solidarity, the stress of service work can evolve into guilt, cynicism, numbness, chronic exhaustion, and diminished creativity–legitimate responses that contribute to burnout.
In this webinar we will discuss: Trauma exposure at the library, how our library’s “Rekindling from Burnout" project came about, and strategies & actions you can try at your library to build resiliency and networks of support. Additionally, we will share several resources created and curated by the Brooklyn Library staff.
We consistently put in the effort and energy to make our libraries welcoming spaces that connect our communities to the resources they need. As we all recalibrate to new strictures and shift our service model accordingly, we are witness to the increasing challenges children, teens, families, adult learners, and job seekers face. An informed approach embracing a variety of self-care strategies can shift staff culture towards resilience, preventing burnout and elevating patron services.
At the end of this one-hour webinar, participants will:
- Recognize and define signs of secondary trauma and burnout
- Receive resources to address burnout and learn strategies for self-care
- Brainstorm actions steps they can take at their library, either free or funded
This webinar will be of interest to: All library staff who want to revitalize and remember why they started, learn practices for resiliency, and bring more communication skills to their work.
- Speakers' slides
- Rekindling from Burnout Self-Care List
- Trauma Stewardship Book Guide
- Wellness Journaling Zine
- Professional Quality of Life Worksheet
- Rekindling Additional Resources
- Rekindling Incubator Partner Organizations
- Vibrant - Evaluating Your Organization
- Vibrant - Staying in Balance Toolkit