You are here
Library Service for All: Current Trends in Library Programs and Services for Autistic Children and Teens
A Project Enable Webinar Hosted by Infopeople
Start Time: Pacific - 12:00 PM, Mountain - 1:00 PM, Central - 2:00 PM, Eastern - 3:00 PM
Presenters: Amelia Anderson and Sue Kowalski
In this webinar we will discuss what autism is through the lens of neurodiversity, and how characteristics of autism may manifest in the library environment. We will focus on education and acceptance for librarians and library staff, so that our autistic patrons and autism families feel welcomed into a supportive environment. We will also discuss ways libraries across the United States are implementing best practices to better serve members of this community.
Additionally, we will share some shifts in school library practices in order to respond to the needs of our autistic students and provide some examples and outcomes from Project Enable involvement.
At the end of this webinar, attendees will:
- Develop or deepen their awareness of what it means to be autistic
- Become familiar with current trends in library programing and services for children and teens with autism, including how technology is being used for these purposes
- Learn strategies for incorporating the voices of individuals with autism when planning library programs and services
This webinar will be of interest to: library staff who work with children and teens.
This webinar is funded, in part, by a Laura Bush 21st Century Librarian grant to Project ENABLE, in partnership with Infopeople, the training arm of Califa. Project ENABLE is an initiative of the Center for Digital Literacy at Syracuse University’s School of Information Studies to build capacity for library workers to provide equitable access and services to patrons with disabilities.
Webinars are free of charge, you can pre-register by clicking on the Register Now button on this page. If you pre-registered you will receive an email with login link and a reminder email the day before the event.
To check your system's compatibility with Zoom and/or download software for your computer/tablet/smartphone, see this page.
- Speaker's slides - Amelia Anderson
- Speaker's slides - Sue Kowalski
- Certificate of participation (pdf)