You are here
Introduction to Intellectual Freedom in Libraries – 2015 Update
An Infopeople Webinar
Start Time: Pacific - 12 Noon, Mountain - 1 PM, Central - 2 PM, Eastern - 3 PM
Webinar Series Title: Legal Issues for Libraries
Presenter: Mary Minow
- A parent asks you to remove a book from the shelf because she feels it could harm her children.
- A library user complains that the current collection of magazines doesn’t include his political viewpoint and too much of a different one.
- You heard that a library worker in the next county was reprimanded for a post she put on the library's social media site. Now you wonder about writing your next posts for your library.
- One public comment on the library's social media site seems like a slur and another seems like a threat. Should you remove them?
What do you do?
In this webinar, you will learn techniques to approach these challenges and others, along with a firm background of intellectual freedom in libraries, including relevant laws and court cases.
At the end of this one-hour webinar, attendees will be able to:
- Identify and interpret key ALA documents, policies, and decisions related to intellectual freedom, both in print and online
- Identify and understand holdings in key court cases on intellectual freedom in libraries
- Understand how the law treats different libraries - academic, school and public.
- Understand the types of speech that are not protected by the First Amendment, and when to call the police to report child pornography
- Develop skills for recognizing and strategies for responding to challenges
This webinar will be of interest to library staff at all levels in any type of library. It will be particularly beneficial for those who are relatively new to the library field and who have not had any formal training in the core values of the profession.
Webinars are free of charge, you can pre-register by clicking on the Register Now button (at the top and bottom of this page). If registering with less than 30 MINUTES from the start of the webinar you can join directly from the thank you page by clicking the Join Now button. If you pre-registered you will receive an email with login link and a reminder email the day before the event.
- Infopeople webinars can be viewed on iOS devices. Adobe® Connect™ Mobile for iOS
- Webinar archive of this event will be available within 24 hours or sooner
- Webinar Tips
- Test your browser for compatibility
Keywords: Library legal issues and legislation, Library philosophy and fundamentals, Staff development