You are here
Capturing our State: The California State Government Web Archive
An Infopeople Hosted Webinar
Start Time: Pacific - 12 Noon, Mountain - 1 PM, Central - 2 PM, Eastern - 3 PM
Kris Kasianovitz, State, Local and International Government Information Librarian, Stanford University
Shari Laster, Government Information Librarian & Data Services Librarian, UC Santa Barbara
Julie Lefevre, Digital Services Librarian, Institute of Governmental Studies Library, UC Berkeley
Lucia Orlando, Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences and Government Information Librarian, UC Santa Cruz
- How long does a website last?
- Do you know where information on California's state government website is curated and stewarded for long-term access?
- Who does this work and why?
- Do you want to learn how to make sure that current and future library users can access important information about their government?
If any of these questions sound interesting, then this webinar is for you!
A group of librarians at the University of California, Stanford University, and the California State Archives and State Library are working to ensure that valuable evidence of our state's history are collected and preserved. California state government publications have nearly ceased being distributed in print; instead, they are now almost exclusively born-digital and available only on agency websites. Current research indicates that over 40% of the information presented on state government websites is inaccessible within seven years. California is no different when it comes to this statistic. Important California state (and local!) government information is at great risk of irretrievable loss.
Launched in 2008, the Archive of the California State Government domain, CA.gov, is a public collection of freely available web archived agency sites
In this webinar, participants will:
- Understand the basics of web archiving using Archive-It
- Be familiar with the scope and content of the CA.gov Web Archive
- Be able to search the CA.gov Web Archive and the Open WayBack Machine for state government information
- Know who to contact with questions about the project or suggest sites for inclusion in the archive
- Have ideas for web harvesting projects for your local government agencies
This webinar will be helpful to library staff who want to learn how to access web archives and develop ideas for instituting web archiving projects at their libraries.
Webinars are free of charge, you can pre-register by clicking on the Register Now button (at the top and bottom of this page). If registering with less than 30 MINUTES from the start of the webinar you can join directly from the thank you page by clicking the Join Now button. If you pre-registered you will receive an email with login link and a reminder email the day before the event.
- Infopeople webinars can be viewed on iOS devices. Adobe® Connect™ Mobile for iOS
- Webinar archive of this event will be available within 24 hours or sooner
- Webinar Tips
- Test your browser for compatibility
Speaker's slides: Will be available the morning of the webinar.