You are here
STEAM Programming for Diverse Populations
An Infopeople Webinar
Start Time: Pacific - 12 Noon, Mountain - 1 PM, Central - 2 PM, Eastern - 3 PM
Presenters: Amy Koester
STEAM programs that connect youth audiences to science, technology, engineering, the arts, and math—continue to be a particularly hot topic in libraries, with plenty of conference programs and online learning opportunities devoted to the concept. Yet despite the growing number of STEAM resources available, libraries may find themselves wondering:
- What might STEAM programs look like particularly in libraries serving racially and ethnically diverse communities?
- How do my staff and I offer meaningful STEAM opportunities for diverse populations without specialized training?
- How do we help youth build strong foundations in STEAM through programs that are easily accessible and interesting to a community with a diverse population?
In a landscape where children of color tend to have fewer STEAM opportunities in school and extracurriculars, the library can aim to fill these gaps for their communities. This webinar will explore why it is necessary to offer STEAM programs for diverse youth and teen populations, and will include a variety of ideas for programs and resources for finding and creating your own programs.
At the end of this one-hour webinar, participants will:
- Be able to define STEAM and describe its place in youth & teen services for diverse communities
- Understand how preparation, access, and motivation are issues of STEAM equity
- Know how to identify a new audience that can be served by an existing program
- Have new ideas about how to create library programs that connect children to STEAM learning opportunities
- Be familiar with how to design engaging and empowering STEAM opportunities for teens
This webinar will be of interest to: public library youth & teen services librarians and paraprofessionals, school library staff, youth services managers and coordinators, library administrators
Webinars are free of charge, you can pre-register by clicking on the Register Now button (at the top and bottom of this page). If registering with less than 30 MINUTES from the start of the webinar you can join directly from the thank you page by clicking the Join Now button. If you pre-registered you will receive an email with login link and a reminder email the day before the event.
- Infopeople webinars can be viewed on iOS devices. Adobe® Connect™ Mobile for iOS
- Webinar archive of this event will be available within 24 hours or sooner
- Webinar Tips
- Test your browser for compatibility
- Handout 1: Civic Citizen Science Resources pdf [78kb]
- Handout 2: Recent Titles STEAM Connections pdf [97kb]
- Handout 3: Template Sample Letter Community Partnership doc [38kb] - pdf [70kb]
- Chat: pdf [77kb]
Keywords: STEAM, Children's services, Teen services