You are here
Creating Baby Spaces in Public Libraries: designing for success
An Infopeople Webinar
Start Time: Pacific - 12 Noon, Mountain - 1 PM, Central - 2 PM, Eastern - 3 PM
Presenter: Bridget Alexander
Babies can be one of the toughest audiences we work with in our library settings. They squirm. They chew on books and one another. They are still figuring out language. They come attached to exhausted caregivers and even wigglier big brothers and sisters. Yet, the benefits of building an early relationship to babies and their caregivers are substantial.
- Parents and caregivers benefit from belonging to a community.
- Babies benefit from activities that develop visual tracking, vocabulary, auditory processing, and a range of motor skills that line the path to reading and writing.
- Library staff assist caregivers in identifying that early literacy is developed in play and direct engagement rather than through flashcards and DVDS for infants.
At the end of this one-hour webinar, participants will:
- Understand the developmental stages in infancy that provide key windows to developing future literacy
- Build a repertoire of activities and strategies to engage infants and caregivers
- Explore a range of environments and process based art experiences that overcome the challenges of working with infants joyfully and affordably
- Examine models of successful library design that invites in children of all ages
This webinar will be of interest to library staff working with programs for children and families
Webinars are free of charge, you can pre-register by clicking on the Register Now button (at the top and bottom of this page). If registering with less than 30 MINUTES from the start of the webinar you can join directly from the thank you page by clicking the Join Now button. If you pre-registered you will receive an email with login link and a reminder email the day before the event.
- Infopeople webinars can be viewed on iOS devices. Adobe® Connect™ Mobile for iOS
- Webinar archive of this event will be available within 24 hours or sooner
- Webinar Tips
- Test your browser for compatibility
Keywords: Children's services, Programming, Storytimes