You are here
Book to Action: putting words into action
A California State Library/California Library Association Webinar
Start Time: Pacific - 12 Noon, Mountain - 1 PM, Central - 2 PM, Eastern - 3 PM
Presenter: Mary Menzel
This webinar will be of interest to California public libraries, but others may find it of interest and are welome to attend.
Civic engagement programming is an exploding area of library service, and community-building is high on the list of priorities for 21st-century libraries. If you’ve been wondering how to get started in these crucial areas, this webinar is for you.
Book to Action is an inspirational program that builds on the book group idea to include a community service opportunity. Libraries choose a book on a topic of interest to their community and enlist a partner agency to create a volunteer activity that addresses the topic. The book’s author is invited to speak and then the community is invited to participate in the volunteer activity.
Libraries around California have found that Book to Action is the perfect way to expand the library’s reach and to attract new partners, as it builds on our traditional brand – books – and looks forward into new possibilities.
Join Mary Menzel, Director of the California Center for the Book, to learn what Book to Action is all about and how your library can apply for funding.
At the end of this one-hour webinar, participants will:
- Understand the concepts behind Book to Action.
- Be familiar with the online toolkit that provides ideas for books and community partners (http://www.library.ca.gov/lds/getinvolved/booktoaction)
- Be aware of the application process for Book to Action funding and deadlines for programming and reports.
- Be aware of what support and resources are available from the California Center for the Book.
This webinar will be of interest to California public library staff and volunteers looking for community engagement programs for their libraries.
Webinars are free of charge, you can pre-register by clicking on the Register Now button (at the top and bottom of this page). If registering with less than 30 MINUTES from the start of the webinar you can join directly from the thank you page by clicking the Join Now button. If you pre-registered you will receive an email with login link and a reminder email the day before the event.
- Infopeople webinars can be viewed on iOS devices. Adobe® Connect™ Mobile for iOS
- Webinar archive of this event will be available within 24 hours or sooner
- Webinar Tips
- Test your browser for compatibility
Keywords: Community engagement, Partnerships, Programming, Outreach